Ready to Read

Ready to Read
Historical Novels -Bobi Andrews

Thursday, April 21, 2016

OH, My. A Pileated Woodpecker

File:Pileated-at-platform-feeder.jpg
Source:  David Margrave.  Http//en.wikipedia.org/wik/Image:Pileated-at-platform-feeder.jpg.
After the storm this morning, I checked from my window to see if any more limbs had fallen into my pond from my neighbor's dead tree.  OMG at the top of the dead tree was a Pileated Woodpecker. I hadn't seen one of those for over fifteen or twenty years, the last when we still lived at Valley Lodge in Simonton. 

He's a spectacular big fellow and his red head tuff rises as he pecks into a trunk.  A yellow streak outlines the red and black surrounding his eyes.   My bird book shows that we live at the western most edge of his territories (which are mostly in the eastern half of the United States.) Because of his size, the holes he excavates are large and are sometimes used by other birds seeking refuge.

He flew away.  I hope he comes back!

No comments:

Post a Comment