Ready to Read

Ready to Read
Historical Novels -Bobi Andrews

Saturday, August 24, 2013

WRITING SHAPE-NOTE MUSIC

Preface
I have a number of very good musicians in my family, perhaps originating from the travelling genes of the singing ancestors in Singer’s Glen.   While researching “Hetty”, I became intrigued with shaped-note music script and shared my enthusiasm with my sister knowing she would have expertise on the subject from the viewpoint of a musician as well as an elementary school teacher who taught many young kids to read.    I asked her to comment.  At the end, I’ve added a little home-made shape-note script for the reader to experience this unique form of song writing and to guess what the tune is. 

By the way, I think our ancestors were pretty bright to figure all this out from Joseph Funk’s compositions.  Somehow, I think if I were there, I would be singing off-key more than on-key. 

TO READ MUSIC OR NOT TO READ MUSIC?
– Contributed by Rose Nuernberger, Bettendorf, Iowa

Does that seem to be a rather odd question?  In our earlier history most of the common people learned to sing by having a leader sing a line, and then they would repeat the line . . . learning by rote.  But perhaps they were impatient like my granddaughter, Sarah, as a three-year-old.  “I do it mysef.” 

Thus the beginnings of shaped-note music were born.  Different shapes indicated whether the tones went up or down the scale.  I presume it was like a first grader learning how to decipher “all those fancy squiggly marks” in learning the different alphabet sounds mastering reading skills.  But if my tuition guides me correctly, I can’t help but believe that those early pioneers in our lives had the same philosophy as my granddaughter . . . “I do it mysef.”

Does this all somewhat compare to the invention of the wheel (in the music world)?  You’ll be intrigued as to how Barbara Andrews weaves the shape-note process in her latest book, soon to be released, “Hetty’s Song, the Death of the Skylark.”  And you’ll probably never look at another note without telling yourself, “There’s a lot of history behind that note.”






WHAT SONG IS THIS?

SHAPED-NOTE MUSIC SCRIPT
SINGER’S GLEN
1880




Need a hint:   email
bobbibob@sbcglobal.net

10/9/13  Note

For those asking, the music bar above was Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star!














No comments:

Post a Comment